10.10.11

Scrumptious Vegetable Soup


Armed with a boatload of fresh vegetables from my trip to the farmer's market and a serious need for more greens in my life, I decided to make a vegetable soup. Not just any vegetable soup though, one that is vegan, hearty and mouth watering good. The final result? A soup that even my meat loving husband enjoyed (major accomplishment in my book as his version of veggie soup has big hunks of beef floating in it).


Vegetable Soup

1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed (this gets rid of excess sodium)
1 can green lentils
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 bell pepper (whichever color you like)
1 jalapeno, chopped
1/2 cup okra
1/4 cup chopped onions
2 lg. garlic cloves, minced
2 tomatoes
1 bunch of Asian greens (though any greens will do-kale, collards, etc.)
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1/2 tablespoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 bay leaves
Frank Red Hot Sauce

** secret ingredient** shhhh....don't tell- truffle oil



Over medium-high heat, sweat out the onions and pepper. Add the okra, garlic and tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes. Add canned ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and add bouillon, bay leaves, greens, and pasta.



Resist the temptation to raise the smoking hot spoon full of soup to your mouth and allow the flavors to dance in the pot. Allow soup to simmer for 7-10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.



Garnish with a drizzle of truffle oil ( I used white). The oil is sure to add richness and depth to the soup. Serve with pan con tomate and enjoy! I will post my recipe (super simple) for pan con tomate soon, it's a beloved Spanish dish that I always serve with soup. I hope that you enjoy this soup as much as I do, it's a vegetarian soup that is sure to even please the meat eaters in your life. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment